Company Type: SDK Provider
Coverage & Analysis from the Information Feed:
- All Coverage
Summary: Waygo is an app that is changing the way expats, tourists, and business travelers experience Asia and pictorial languages.
Utilizing a combo of both Optical Character Recognition and a translation piece, Waygo translates Chinese, Japanese & Korean characters into English text by seeing images, finding the relevant text, and finally creating sensible phrases. Waygo does not require an internet connection to operate. Companies that enter the field of OCR spend many years getting their solution to work, let alone be any good. Waygo is no different. Their team has been working on an in-house, proprietary algorithms for about two years and it has paid off. When benchmarked against ABBYY (the top commercial OCR) our software is five times faster, two times more accurate, and a tenth of the file size.
- Ryan Rogowski – Co-Founder & CEO — LinkedIn Profile
- Kevin Clark – Co-Founder & Director of Product — LinkedIn Profile
- Huan-Yu Wu – Co-Founder & Director of Technology — LinkedIn Profile
- Waygo secured $750,000 seed funding in November 2015 from Presence Capital, Golden Gate Ventures, East Ventures, and 500 Startups. This brought total funding to $1.65 million.
- In July 2013, the company received angel funding of $900,000, backed by China-based Angelvest, 500 Startups, and Golden Gate Ventures.
- Super Ventures invested an undisclosed amount into Waygo in early 2016.
Product / Service Offerings:
Waygo SDK: Waygo is excited to offer an SDK for developers wishing to build iOS or Android applications using Waygo’s offline OCR and translation technology. Waygo SDK features include:
- real-time OCR and translation for Chinese, Japanese and Korean
- offline image processing
- optional offline translation
- perfect for smartphones and other augmented reality devices