Company Type: Enterprise Platform Developer
Coverage & Analysis from the Information Feed:
Summary: Thalmic Labs is pioneering new ways of interacting with digital devices. With a mission to merge people and technology, the company is revolutionizing how we will interact with technology in the future. Its first product, the Myo Armband, measures electrical activity in muscles to wirelessly control computers, phones and other digital technologies, resulting in seamless interaction between humans and devices.
Founded in 2012 by three graduates of the University of Waterloo’s mechatronics engineering program Thalmic Labs has grown to a world-leading team of scientists, engineers and designers committed to building the future of wearable technology. In addition to the armband, the Myo Market allows downloads/purchases of applications that enhance Myo functionality, and a SDK for users/developers to build apps beyond what is already available.
- Stephen Lake – Co-Founder & CEO — LinkedIn Profile
- Matthew Bailey – Co-Founder — LinkedIn Profile
- Aaron Grant – Co-Founder — LinkedIn Profile
- $1.1 million seed funding was provided on December 1, 2012. Investors were Dan Debow, David Ossip, Lee Lau, and Mike McCauley.
- Additional seed funding was provided in January 2013, for an undisclosed amount. Investors were: Hank Vigil, Fritz Lanman, and Y Combinator.
- Thalmic raised a $14.5 million Series A funding round from FundersClub, Spark Capital, Intel Capital.
Product / Service Offerings:
Myo Armband: Lets users wirelessly control technology with gestures and motion.
Myo Market: A marketplace for applications that enhance Myo armband functionality.
Myo SDK: Forum for user application development for the Myo armband.