Company Type: Platform Developer
Coverage & Analysis from the Information Feed:
- All Coverage
- Alibaba leads $793.5 million funding round for Magic Leap (2/2/16)
- Magic Leap patent reveals potential hardware and use cases (7/23/15)
- Google leads $542 million funding round for Magic Leap (10/21/14)
Summary: Magic Leap is working on a head-mounted virtual retinal display which superimposes 3D computer-generated imagery over real world objects by projecting a digital light field into the user’s eye. It is attempting to construct a light-field chip using silicon photonics.
- Rony Abovitz – Founder, President, and CEO — LinkedIn Profile
- Graeme Devine – Chief Creative Officer, VP Games, Apps & CR Experiences — LinkedIn Profile
- Scott Henry – Chief Financial Officer — LinkedIn Profile
- In December 2015, it was reported that Magic Leap was looking to raise up to $827 million in equity funding. Alibaba is reported to be planning to invest $200 million into Magic Leap
- October 2014 – $542 million in Series B funding led by Google, with participation by Qualcomm Ventures, Legendary Entertainment, KKR, Vulcan Capital, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Andreessen Horowitz, Obvious Ventures, and others.
Product / Service Offerings:
The Magic Leap headset. As of January 2016, it is still in-development. Magic leap aims to create a “rocket ship for the mind” through a technology called Cinematic Reality.
In October 2015, Magic Leap’s Chief Content Officer, Rio Caraeff said the company’s ultimate goal is to create “a broad-based platform for visual computing” and that “anything you can do on a smartphone, you can do with Magic Leap.”
Customers: As of January 2016, Magic Leap remains in development and fundraising mode.
Competitors: Microsoft HoloLens